Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fake Bicycle

I got my new lens in the middle of the week and only really got to play with it for about an hour the day I got it.  The Saturday after I got it was a nice day, so I geared up and went to do some exploring north of the River Market where I live.  There is this nice bicycle and walking trail along the Missouri River that I’ve been on a few times before, but never with my camera.  I spent a few hours down there, mostly in solitude, taking photographs of some interesting things I saw, and trying out a few new techniques with my new lens.

As I was walking around a bend in the trail, I heard a shout of pain, and then witnessed a goofy guy with his kids, playing on this statue of a bicycle.  The man had climbed on the fake bike and sat down with unsurprisingly painful results.  He quickly got off the bike, and though his kids were thoroughly entertained by his antics, he was visibly shaken by the experience.  I chuckled to myself, and made a mental note to come back and investigate this bike more thoroughly.  A few hours and many pictures later, I made my way back to this bicycle.  This time there was nobody playing on it, and I was able to get a couple pictures of it.  I found it interesting that they placed this very inviting plaything right next to some dangerous steps that led down to the river.  As you can see, these steps are so dangerous someone was compelled to install a sign warning of their hazardous nature!  Enough about these crazy steps; I think this is a pretty cool little statue to have on a bike path.

Fake Bicycle

2 comments:

  1. Very inviting plaything?! Are you crazy? What about that is inviting?! I mean OUCH! I feel for that guy! Inviting plaything...something is wrong with you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say it's an inviting plaything because of my personal experience with it. Two out of two people I have seen interact with this art have treated it as something to climb on.

    ReplyDelete

ALL PHOTOS ON THIS SITE ARE PROPERTY OF JEREMY JEWELL. ANY UNAUTHORIZED USAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED UNLESS PERMISSION WAS EXPLICITLY GRANTED BY THE OWNER.