Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Old Courthouse

Here is another photo from last summer's trip to St. Louis. The whole group of us were walking to the stadium from the Arch and I stopped to take a few photos of this building. I had never really though about what exactly this building was until now. Turns out it is the Old St. Louis County Courthouse. The dome was built during the Civil War, although the actual courthouse building was built before this. The Old Courthouse was actually the tallest building in St. Louis until 1896; hard to believe with all of the buildings towering over it today. It was relieved of its duties as a courthouse in 1930 when the Civil Courts Building was built and was abandoned for a few years until it was slowly renovated and turned into a monument.

Anyway, there was your history lesson for the day, and here is my photograph!


Old Courthouse

2 comments:

  1. Judith Jewell LandJune 21, 2009 at 5:04 PM

    Joe and I were walking back to our car after Wed. night's game. I happened to look over and got a fabulous view of this building framed by the arch. It was beautiful; you should take that phot sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention that; I actually have a photograph very similar to what you're talking about. I don't like the one I took as much as I could because I took it from some little fountain park. I've got the fountain, some red colored skeleton structure (skeleton as in, it's just support and a roof), then the Old Courthouse which is framed by the Arch. If I get back to St. Louis I'll retake that photo though.

    ReplyDelete

ALL PHOTOS ON THIS SITE ARE PROPERTY OF JEREMY JEWELL. ANY UNAUTHORIZED USAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED UNLESS PERMISSION WAS EXPLICITLY GRANTED BY THE OWNER.