Monday, May 18, 2009

Substation

Well, it's been a while since my last update, but I've been busy lately, and I've been working on finishing up a few photos. I took this photo a couple of months ago somewhere north of Kansas City. I decided to just get in my car and drive up north until I found a good place to take some pictures. I had headed up there with a certain shot in mind, but stumbled upon this substation in a fairly deserted area, and decided to get some pictures of it instead.

I planned on trying out a post-processing method which would produce a High Dynamic Range (HDR) photo. To do this I took a total of 5 exposures from the exact same location. One exposure -2 stops, -1, +1, +2, and one exposed normally at 0. These 5 exposures are combined in a computer program and tweaked using tone mapping, which basically adjusts how the exposures are combined. When done right, I think this produces extraordinary pictures; in the wrong hands though, it can create disturbingly distorted images. I set out to do it right, and tried not to over do the processing. After combining the 5 exposures, I opened the result in Photoshop and tweaked the image a bit more until I liked the results.

I've tried to create HDR photos in the past, but could never get one to look like I thought it should -- until now. Something clicked this time, and I was able to create this image. I like it quite a bit, and decided to enter it into the art show I mentioned in Bean Ball! Regardless of how it does in the show, I'm happy with it. I don't think that I overdid the post-processing, and everyone who I have shown it to has agreed.

Substation

For the show, I had this printed at an online shop. After reading reviews I decided to spend a few extra dollars and have it printed on a metallic paper which supposedly looked very good. I was definitely not disappointed. The colors seem to 'pop' more, and with a photo like this, I think that only enhances the picture. Looking at it now, I'm wondering if viewing it on a computer monitor does it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALL PHOTOS ON THIS SITE ARE PROPERTY OF JEREMY JEWELL. ANY UNAUTHORIZED USAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED UNLESS PERMISSION WAS EXPLICITLY GRANTED BY THE OWNER.