Saturday, August 1, 2009

Vidalia Onions

I recently had the chance to travel to Georgia on business, and for part of the trip stayed in Vidalia, Georgia, birthplace of the Vidalia Onion. My hotel happened to be right next door to the Vidalia Onion Factory and Gift Shop, your one stop shop for all things onion. Before I go too far, let me explain that this "factory" is what I would call a southern factory, which in terms of the rest of the US, is more of a warehouse. Splitting hairs, I know, but I feel it necessary to be precise.

This was a very enjoyable trip, and having recently acquired an excellent travel bag for my camera, I brought it along. This photograph is (obviously) of the Vidalia Onion Factory. I learned a few things on this trip, the most notable being that people in southeast Georgia are some of the nicest, most sincere people I have ever encountered. I have examples to back these claims, so if you want to hear them, just ask.

While this photograph may not be one of my best technically, I wanted to share it on here. My hope is that my collection of photographs can be considered travel photography, so I wanted to share something from my travels. That's not to say I don't have more from this trip, so check back soon to see more from my Georgia trip; I found some pretty interesting places.

Vidalia Onions

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I do not think i have ever seen a picture where the sky is a perfect gradient between two colors. Thats pretty neat.....You didn't photoshop that in now did you....I'm watching you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picture. Did you buy any onions?
    I want to hear more about your experience in SE GA. I've never been there but have been to SW GA. I find all the people in the Deep South are super nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hew, you should know better than to think I did that sky in Photoshop! I was surprised that the sky turned out as well as it did. The sun was rising to the left and I was pretty sure I had blown out the sky thanks to some clouds over there, but I think the way it turned out, with the gradient like you said, ended up being pretty nice.

    And no, Ann, I didn't buy any onions while I was down there, though I was told they are so sweet I could eat them raw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta try our famous onions next time. Nice shot!

    W. Brannen
    National Marketing Director
    Vidalia Onion Committee
    VidaliaOnion.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always buy Vidalia onions from the grocery store.. I assume they're the same; maybe just not as fresh. They're definitely a tasty onion; hopefully next time I'm down there I can buy some fresh ones. I was also advised by a woman I sat next to on my flight to buy some fresh peaches down there.

    ReplyDelete

ALL PHOTOS ON THIS SITE ARE PROPERTY OF JEREMY JEWELL. ANY UNAUTHORIZED USAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED UNLESS PERMISSION WAS EXPLICITLY GRANTED BY THE OWNER.