Sunday, February 7, 2010

Downtown from 169

I think this will be my last downtown Kansas City picture for a while; I have processed all the ones I have taken that I like.  I feel this is a pretty unique angle of downtown.  It was taken from north of the city on Highway 169 as I was walking home from the Downtown Kansas City Airport Air Show.  I lived north of downtown, so this is similar to the view I got from my apartment. This is also pretty much the reverse view of my Highway 169 photograph.

I’m not sure what the name of the apartment complex is, but if you notice on the left side of this picture, there is a large parking garage somewhat visible.  It doesn’t look bad in this picture, but in real life, that parking garage and the associated apartment buildings look terrible.  Pretty much all of the other buildings in the River Market area of downtown are old brick buildings.  Many have been renovated and are very nice on the inside, but the historic exterior remains unchanged.  Anyway, these new apartment buildings are architecturally completely different from the rest of the River Market.  They’re poorly constructed, much like many of the suburban apartments in Overland Park (all wood construction, cheap materials, build quickly), and look generally like a suburban apartment complex.  Because these apartments were built surrounding my old gym, I got to see construction progress every day, so I feel that I’m pretty much an expert on the subject.  What I’m really trying to say here is that these apartments are ruining the River Market, and I’m glad I moved away when I did.  I always hoped during construction that the building would ‘accidentally’ burn down and the project would be scrapped.  If you ever get the opportunity, please stop by their office, and tell them to go to hell for me.

Getting back on point, this was taken during my HDR period, so it’s a 5 shot handheld HDR.  Check out the EXIF info below for a little more information.

Downtown from 169
Exif information
Model Canon EOS 20D
Original date 2009:08:23 12:34
Exposure time 1/1000 sec
Focal length 18mm
F-Stopf/8
ISO speed ISO-100
Exposure 5 Photo HDR

2 comments:

  1. The colors are a bit warm for my tastes, but not bad. Is this close to true color or more of a surreal look?

    So you are an expert are you? Been to architecture and construction school have you? Can spot a good construction vs. a bad construction eh?

    But, yeah, that is some pretty ugly construction theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need more credentials? I work for an engineering/construction firm, and we build things. I have also been able to watch the construction of some quality apartments/condos next to our clients office here in California. They're using quality concrete construction here, and they're also not tracking dirt all over the surrounding roads like the contractors did in KC. So yeah, I'm an expert.

    Meh, I don't really know. It's probably close to the real colors, I just liked the way it looked.

    ReplyDelete

ALL PHOTOS ON THIS SITE ARE PROPERTY OF JEREMY JEWELL. ANY UNAUTHORIZED USAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED UNLESS PERMISSION WAS EXPLICITLY GRANTED BY THE OWNER.